Friday, April 1, 2011

The celiac's version of restaurant roulette: How do we really know our order is actually gluten-free?

Chef Admits Lying to Gluten Free Diners

I'm sure everyone has heard the news about the so-called "chef" who bragged on his Facebook page about intentionally giving his unsuspecting gluten-free patrons a heaping dose of wheat with their meals.

The full story can be found on Foodista. The WebMD blog site has covered this story as well and has started a comment log for your trials and tribulations while dining out gluten free.

When eating out locally these past few months, I've had several instances where I had to ask the staff to remake my order because it contained gluten (croutons, bread, pasta, etc.). I understand that it is difficult for any restaurant to fully comprehend the challenges of the gluten-free diet and, for the most part, they are very accommodating. However, I do wonder if they sometimes think we're just being self-indulgent and picky. I certainly hope our local chefs are of higher moral fiber and sensibly abstain from intentionally abusing their gluten-free guests.

As always, feel free to post your comments here. I'd like to know what others think about this!

No comments: